When an Authenticated Shipping order is placed for an item that includes gemstones, it will pass into the care of our expertly trained gemologists.
When creating a listing for an item featuring gemstones, it’s essential that you provide as much information as possible to avoid any issues down the road. If any discrepancies are found between the item’s listing and the piece itself during our checks, your sale could be delayed or cancelled, so be as descriptive and precise as possible.
What to include in your listing
When creating your listing, the following information should be included so that our expert teams can carry out Quality Control & Authentication checks and approve your item:
- Information on the precious metals used (eg. gold, white gold, platinum, silver etc.) and the specific names of the stones that make up the jewel;
- The exact composition of the stones (For example, you should not state "crystal" if the item is "glass", or "stone" if it is "reconstituted stone");
- Include the laboratory certificate provided at the point of purchase if you have it. You can upload a photograph of the certificate as part of your listing, and will be expected to include the certificate with your item once it sells.
- Information about any treatments that have been applied to the gemstones;
- Information on the inclusions of natural gems.
💡 Good to know: When we talk about “inclusions” in gemstones, we are talking about any materials naturally trapped within a mineral as it forms. This could be crystals, gas bubbles, or even tiny fractures - all these are called “inclusions”.
A word on treatments
By law, a buyer must be informed of any treatment that has been performed on a stone (eg. oil or resin treatments, laser treatment, coating or irradiation).
If you’re not sure about the treatments your stone(s) may have undergone, we recommend having your gemstones appraised by a gemologist before listing your item on Vestiaire Collective. This will provide you with all the information you need to create a complete and accurate listing!
To find out about buying gemstones on Vestiaire Collective, 🔍 click here.