Sustainability has always been at the heart of Vestiaire Collective.
We’re constantly on the lookout for ways to change the fashion landscape for the better, whether that means big initiatives like the launch of our 🔍 Fashion Activist Badge - which celebrates buyers and sellers of pre-loved fashion in our community - or making those small changes that make a huge difference.
Like rethinking our Vestiaire Collective packaging.
How eco-friendly is our packaging? 🌱
We want to have as little impact on the environment as possible when it comes to packing materials, so if items are adequately protected, we won’t add more packaging. When we do need to add a little protection or special care to make sure items arrive safely, we’ll be using our new eco-friendly packaging.
- Recycled & Recyclable: We use kraft paper bags and unprinted cardboard to package the items we ship, meaning they’re 100% recycled and recyclable.
- The Perfect Pouch: Many items are protected in Vestiaire Collective pouches when we ship them out to their buyers. These were previously made from recycled materials, but we wanted to go further. We searched high and low until we found a locally sourced, recycled, more eco-friendly alternative.
- Don’t print it, stitch it: As ink printing is more polluting to the environment, the Vestiaire Collective logo is now stitched onto our new pouches.
All about our new labels
When an item is physically checked at one of our hubs, the team member who completes those checks attaches a label confirming that the item matches the description provided by the seller and the standards of the brand.
We will keep you updated when your item has been checked, and you can then see the status of your item by logging into your account:
If you sold the item: Me > My account > Orders & Sales > Sold Items
If you bought the item: Me > My account > Orders & Sales > Order History
You might have noticed that these labels look a little different these days. We’re proud to say there’s a really good reason for that - they’re greener. Much greener!
- The Paper: We’ve switched to 100% recycled (and recyclable!) paper
- The Ink: Just by switching from metallic printing to water ink, we made our labels way more eco-friendly.
- We’ve gone from 3 Labels to 1: When it comes to sustainability and packaging, less is more. Before, we sent three labels with every checked item: now we send one simple recyclable label. And we think it’s a pretty cool one.
- The Weight: Thanks to the changes we’ve made, our new labels are now four times lighter. That means four-times less weight to transport, which means a lower carbon footprint. Small change: big difference
- Less Plastic : We’ve removed all petroleum-based plastic from our new labels - and the tiny bit of plastic we do use is bio-sourced and recycled. We’re now working towards making our packaging completely plastic-free.
💡 Good to know : On the Vestiaire Collective label you’ll find a QR code with our Fashion Activist leaf at its centre. Just scan this code with your smartphone to Follow the Leaf and see how you’re changing the world of fashion by buying and selling pre-loved.